Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Arrival of Sloan Ronald Hanson

It seems only fitting that the first real post of this new venture should be of Sloan's arrival.  He's almost 4 months old now, and has been growing and changing right before my eyes.  He's started to be much more interactive, which is so much fun.  He's a very smiley baby these days, and his personality is certainly developing....and I think it's going to be an interesting one...as someone pointed out to me, What did I expect, with the cross of a bulldog and a rottweiler???? A Chihuahua? 

This is Sloan a few minutes after his arrival:
He was a big boy, weighing in at 9 lbs, 2 oz, and with a huge head....39 cm in circumference.  He was born at home, with the help of two midwives, and his Auntie Jodi.  He is named after my Dad, and I have heard several times this picture reminds people of Dad...I think it's those chubby Giles cheeks.

Of course we had to throw him a "Birth" day party...my mom, dad, Jodi, Brian, Jake, Kolt & Drew, all came for Chinese food and of course...Birthday cake.  It's my official job in the family to do things no one else would do, so everyone has a good giggle for months and months at my expense...and the birthday party has definately provided that!


My cousin Tanya had a baby boy just 5 days after Sloan, Darien, was born on May 1, and when they were just in their first week of life, she stopped by to visit.  This is the boys together...something about this picture seems vaguely unfair to me...if you were ever curious what two pounds looks like on a baby this picture gives you a great idea!

These are my favorite poses of Sloan at one month...growing fast, he was already over 11 pounds by the time this picture was taken.

All the babes that were born in the month of April with our midwives, had our pre-natal appointments together.  So we've been trying to get together once a month since then.  It's been such a great experience for me, it's comforting to see how everyone else in the same boat.  This is a picture of 6 of the babes in June...pretty tippy, but sooo cute.





I can't believe how quickly little babies change, here is Sloan at 2 months, now weighing over 13 pounds.


And at three months he was really giving my arms a good workout, he weighed  15 and a half pounds...

He's so much fun now, the laughs and smiles come easily.  This is a video I took of him just the other day...this video will make you giggle - that's a promise!

Just last night was his final bath in his "tummy tub"  it's basically a bucket that is meant to mimick the womb to help babies make a smoother transition.  They say you can use it for the first year, but Sloan's outgrown it sadly, it was so cute, and he loved it.  Some of my favorite pictures are from the tummy tub.
Love,  Julie

1 comment: