Monday, August 23, 2010

Why Blog?

I've been wondering if I have anything to blog about for a while now, and if I did blog, would anyone really read it?  I love reading my sister Jodi's blog, as well as my cousin's and friend's blogs.  But, I couldn't figure out what I would blog about.  And finally I have decided...about everything and nothing, and all the things in between.  It's the funny stories from everyday life, the pictures of their kids, the stories of their travels, the normal, that I love reading about, and I realized I too have those same things to share.  I want a place to capture my family's memories, stories and pictures, and I hope you enjoy sharing those with me.

A baby changes everything...obviously, and yet I had no idea. You would think this wouldn't have been such a news flash in my life, but it was!  Twice!  My first baby was born on March 18, 2005, and Blake was the perfect little baby.  My labour was easy, he rarely cried, never fussed, smiled early on, and slept through the night at around 5 weeks. He exuded love, and he could actually calm an adult!  Before he was born I was determined that life would go on as it did before, I'd just have a baby in tow, nothing would change...and looking back, that was just silly!  Blake taught me more about life and love in 12 weeks than I had learned in the previous 30 years.  After just 12 weeks of life we lost little Blake to rare form of Muscular Dystrophy.  Blessfully we didn't know he was sick, and we enjoyed him every moment we had him.  He taught me about living in the moment, not taking things for granted, and for loving those you love with all your heart - no matter what. I watched this experience change those people around me as well, people appreciated their kids more, even on the bad days, people told each other they loved each other more often, and it put all the little worries of life into perspective.  He left us a wonderful gift - the lesson of appreciation. This photo was taken of Blake when he was 2 months old, just 3 weeks before he passed away.




Fast forward 5 years, and I have a new teacher in my life.  Sloan was born on April 26, 2010, and he came out kicking, screaming, knowing exactly what he wanted, and that he wanted it right now!  His every need has become my full time job and I'm loving every minute of it!  He's got a strong body, and a strong personality and he's 100% perfect.  Here is a shot of Sloan.


I should back track for a moment.  Sloan's Dad (Reg) and I were married on December 5, 2008, in a simple ceremony on a beach in Jamaica.  Along with Reg came 4 brand new stepchildren: Dakota, Tate, Zane and Morgan.  They too have been teachers...I watch them teach their Dad stuff all the time, and just when I think I have something figured out, they are quick to point out the lighter, brighter side of whatever it is.  They are great kids, and I'm priveledged to have them in my life.  Here is a picture of all us when Sloan was 3 weeks old.


I am lucky enough to have my family close to me, and Jake, Kolt & Drew, my sister's kids, are as important to me as my own kids.  My sister Jodi, is also my best friend. My parents live in the same house I was raised in, and that's only 5 minutes from where I live.  I have worked with my Dad for 16 years, selling horse, stock and cargo trailers, and we also have a company together that sells Rustic furniture and home decor.  My dad also taught me to do things on my own, so I have small business of my own thanks to his encouragement.  My mom is the support system of our family, she never says no to any of us, and no matter what we are trying to accomplish she backs us all the way - a true gift! This is a recent picture of Jake, Kolt & Drew, this gives you a pretty good idea about their personalities...Drew is tickling Kolt in this one.


So in short this blog will be about our lives...co-mingled, messed up, fun times, the things we love, the things we do.  As a warning there will be a lot, and I mean a lot of baby postings.  Sloan is a very well photographed baby, and so I'm going to share those photos, milestones and memories.  It's also a personal diary of sorts for me, so there will be postings about what I love to do, such as scrapbooking, quilt making, cake decorating, reading, travelling, oh...and don't be surprised by the odd mention of Anne Murray.

Thanks for reading, I hope you'll stop back often.  I'm going to try and post often...but as a new Mom, I might be overpromising on that one, time will tell!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful start to your blog Julie.....especially your beautiful words about Blake and being a mom. Touching!
    I've said this before and I will say it again that you've been an inspiration to me about strength, knowing ones self and just life in general. So I thank you for being that special person and that I have the chance to call you cousin. Seeing you as a mom to Sloan is just wonderful because you were a wonderful mother to Blake and again to Sloan. I am very happy for you and Reg and I can't wait to see what you have to write about next!! Keep it up!!
    Love ya! <3

    ReplyDelete