Monday, January 17, 2011

Sloan Moves Out

I have been giggling away to myself for the last couple of weeks, reading Facebook posts by Moms who are still pregnant, stressing out that the baby's room isn't ready yet. I've been giggling because Sloan's room isn't ready yet either, and I guess it's either laugh or cry.

At 7 months old, his crib was tucked into the corner of what used to be our room, but suspciously has turned into Sloan's room.  And at the 7 1/2 month old mark, on a whim, on Sunday morning, I decided it was time to make the move.   And voila! 10 minutes later, the move was complete, the door hung back up.
It might have been too easy,  I started to anticipate a  meltdown due to the big move.  His crib had  moved 7 feet,  through a wall, and right into the room we had spent most of his waking time -  I was prepared for sleepless nights, and to end up with a baby tucked right in beside me at night.  (I might have even been looking forward to a little cuddling).  What did I get?  Nothing.  There was no disruption in sleep, and in fact even his naps got a little longer, and all of a sudden his 11 hours of sleep at night turned into 12.  But did I decorate his room?  Did I give into the fact, that my baby didn't need me at night?  No way.  I kept his clothes in my dresser, and I kept the filing cabinet and bookshelf in his room, I changed nothing else.  For 6 weeks.

Finally this past weekend, I decorated hit room, Sloan's "Nursery" is finally ready for him! 

I am very lucky to have some very talented people in Sloan's life, so many of these things were handmade for Sloan, it's quite the cozy room thanks to their efforts.
Cheryl Morison quilted this cowboy cozy blanket for Sloan.

My Auntie Mona actually made this toybox for Blake, and I never got around to finishing it, it was high time I did something with it!  A lady whose work I LOVE in Pennsylvania, made this cupboard, and when I was down there last year,  I organized a skid of baby furniture, (thanks Terry for hauling it home for me), and I let the shopping commence.

  I love the built in toy box on the bottom, another handcrafted piece from Pennsylvania.

My friend Don, made this change table for Sloan...and did such a great job. It's the sturdiest change table I have ever seen, and I love the "S".  Don also made this shelf for his wall.  Don's arrangment with me, is he builds, I paint, so I've been busy painting.
This is antique desk I also found in Pennsylvania, now when I put this on the skid for home...at 7 months pregnant, I got a few strange looks, as I explained it was for my baby.  And the truth be known, all the other pieces in the room where really painted to match this desk.


And just so I wasn't without a contribution to his room, I decorated up some wooden letters, and found a place for some scrapbook pages.


It's nice to finally have it all collected and together in one room.  Next step...to actually move his clothes out of our room...but I don't want to rush into anything ;)

Love,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment