Sunday, December 26, 2010

Sloan's First Christmas!

Christmas Eve was in the books, onto the excitement of Christmas morning.  After our guests had left, I double checked that "The Stockings Were Hung by the Chimney (aka gas fireplace) with Care", made sure our milk and cookies were out for Santa,  and it was off to bed.

I had warned everyone, that as soon as Sloan was awake we would be on the road to the Tebb's.  You could expect us at around 6:30 or so, well wouldn't you just know it.  Christmas morning, Sloan slept in - until 7:30, normally I would have been tickled pink about this, but instead I was awake, and waiting.  I was considering for the first time in my life that perhaps it was ok to wake a sleeping baby.  But instead I showed real restraint and the second his eyes popped open, I roused Reg (who knew this would be so difficult?), and started tapping my foot, let's go people!  I phoned Mom & Dad, and we were off!  With 3 kids under the age of 10, I was sure we had missed Christmas.


I needn't worry.  Poor Sloan opened his Christmas gifts for 4 days, I couldn't help myself, and it's only fair it took 4 days to open them because it took at least that long to wrap them all.  And I have learned my lesson  (at least "officially"), buy a baby a baby gate, bowls, spoons, bibs, that's great - very practical, wrapping them for an 8 month old - moves them right into the impractical column.  And as Reg has pointed out to anyone who will listen, packing up all of our gifts, hauling them to Jodi & Brian's to open them, and then hauling them home...also  very impractical.  Reg also took this year to try and train me about Christmas - I heard the speech (lecture) a few times about how Sloan wouldn't know the difference, so we didn't need to buy him a lot, he didn't want the latest and greatest toy, so let it be...

Well bah humbug!  If nothing else this Christmas was for me!  I got to wrap, unwrap, shop, take pictures, decorate, sew and create "Baby's First Christmas" Julie style.  I complained to Reg that I hadn't realized I had married the Grinch, and Reg complained right back that he hadn't married Mrs. Claus either...Again Bah Humbug!! Bring it on!
I videoed pretty much the whole thing, and here is our entire Christmas Morning - just kidding!!  I did video a lot, but I think perhaps a few photos will tell the story just the same.

Handsome Kolt in his new Smithbilt hat!
Jake's new kobo - he loves it!
Mom opening her stocking
I had searched for a Baby's First Christmas outfit for Sloan, but when you wear 18 - 24 month clothing, they assume you have already had your first Christmas, so we went with some Christmas bibs instead.
Sloan, ripping paper, wondering why I need his picture I think!
After we had finished opening our gifts, and had eaten some breakfast, I took Sloan home for a nap (we both had one), and while we were gone, The Men's battle began!  Jake got a new NHL game board, and this scene was to be repeated a few times Christmas Day, the player trades, team management,  hockey games...all serious stuff!

Here is Sloan, and Jodi listening to the board game antics...

Christmas night we had dinner at our house.  Uncle Gerry & Auntie Caryl joined us, and we had a big  meal (I should mention, Mom, Jodi, and Auntie Caryl are the cooks), Sloan was ready to eat!

After dinner, while the men did the clean up and dishes (oops, sorry slipped into my fantasy world for a second there) , I mean played the board game, we took a few last photos.




Normally I am a very serious Boxing Day shopper, but this year, Sloan had work to do first, he slept in - again, this time until 8:00, and then opened a few gifts, before we headed out.



I hope you all had as much on fun on Christmas as we did, and the best part? Only 364 days to go...


Love,  Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment